Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fifths Disease

This is only the 3rd time in my life I have ever heard of this terrible illness. And 2 times has been in the last week. My visiting teacher is the attendance lady at the school the girls go to. During her visit last week, she told me about her daughter having it when she was in high school. She also mentioned that it had been going around school. It wasn't until Monday night that I put 2 and 2 together. Brianna came in the living room after her shower, and showed me the rash that covered her entire body, except for her face. She says "mom, Lexi told me that I should let you know I have this rash. I have had it since LAST Monday." So I checked her out. It wasn't red, her skin just appeared really blotchy. I asked her if it itched at all. She said a little but nothing bad. I also told her if it got worse or started bugging her, we would call the Dr. Tuesday came and for some reason, this thought enters my mind, that she may have this "fifths disease". So immediately I get on the computer to try and rule it out. Oh no, sure enough she has all the symptoms. When I picked them up from school, I stopped Cortney, (my vt's daughter) to talk it over with her. And she said I bet she has it. So this morning I called the Dr. He said that at this point, she is no longer contagious, but is positive that is what she has. Not to worry, as long as the fever doesn't return, she should be fine. Side note: Brianna had what I thought was a mild flu bug on April 6Th. 2 weeks later, the rash developed. It says that it can last for 17-28 days in children. In adults, it can take up to 2 years to get over:( Are you kidding me....2 years!!! After talking with the Dr. I gave Clint his bath, and sure enough, he too had the blotchy rash on his skin. Last week, when I thought his fever/vomiting was him teething.....turns out it wasn't. Thankfully in children it is very mild. The older you are the worse it becomes. It eventually starts attacking your joints and muscles and can be very debilitating. So please keep your fingers crossed for all of the adults that my children have been around. So while the rest of the world is battling swine flu, here in Florence, Arizona we will be dealing with a mini pandemic of our own....fifths disease!!!

4 comments:

  1. Well after filling Tiff in on what we might be expecting we realized that Brylee had it last week!! The last 2 days of fair she had a fever & was achey all over and stomach ache and exhausted, she missed 2 days of school and had a small rash on her stomach. She had an appt with the dr, but Bry started feeling better so she cancelled it. We are certain thats what it was because at the time none of it really made sense! Now we know! I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are in the safe zone at this point! So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O crud, Tiff is gonna kill us!! Well at least know it is pretty safe to say that you have all been exposed to it by now. Wow!! Was Bry even over that night. I thought her and G were at the Harts house, and just Taylor came over?? Anyway...tell Tiff so sorry!!! I wish we would've known sooner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does suck as an adult! I was a senior in HS (I think I was 17)when I got it and I missed 2.5 months of school. It is kind of serious for adults so be cautious. I still have problems because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's horrible! I'm sorry! I had Fifths disease when I was about 10. NO FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete